Nov 29, 2007

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

The Handmaid's Tale

I honestly have little to say about this one. The Christian dystopias always get to me. I think I find them a little more likely than the hive-mind ones in my lifetime. Or maybe growing up in the bible belt just makes me more cautious of those who would encode biblical morals into law.

Margaret Atwood writes better speculative fiction centered around the subjugation of women than, for example, Sheri S. Tepper. Mostly, I think, because she's also skillful at telling a story while she gets her point across.

Once again, though, all of civilization comes down to reproduction. And I feel like that's pretty much true - when only a few can have children, the powers-that-be will seek to control them.

final thoughts: And yet Canada's still safe space?

No comments: