My friends and I were half watching Jeopardy last night, as we are apt to do, and they were down to the final column. I missed the subject, but the first answer was:
- _____ Troopers by Robert Heinlein.
"What is Starship," I said, "That's one of my favorite novels. My copy's right there on the shelf."
- _______ with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke.
"What is Rendezvous," I said, "And there it is." And I pointed to it near me. By now, we were all paying attention and laughing a little.
- I Have No Mouth and I Must ______ by Harlan Ellison
I stood up out of my chair. "Scream!" I announced. "And it's in that book right there!"
"What is this column?" my sister asked. "Books Hank's read?"
And the Canadian said:
- The Left Hand of ______ by Ursula K. Le Guin
"Darkness," I yelled, "And it's on top of the VCR because I'm reading it right now!"
- A _______ for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.
And together, my friends and I hollered, "Canticle!" and I added, "And I read that one this month!"
Seriously, though. I'm pretty sure Alex Trebek is stalking me.